European Conference on Sustainability, Energy and the Environment 2017

July 7 to 9, 2017 - Brighton, United Kingdom

European Conference on Sustainability, Energy and the Environment 2017

The European Conference on Sustainability, Energy and the Environment 2017 (ECSEE2017), with the theme “East Meets West: Innovation and Discovery,” will be held alongside The European Conference on the Social Sciences 2017 (ECSS2017) in the exciting and cosmopolitan city of Brighton, UK.

From natural phenomena and the results of climate change, through pollution and societal traumas, migrations and war, the enormous challenges that face humankind and our environment are frequently daunting and difficult to comprehend. However, with every new challenge or disruption comes the opportunity for innovation and discovery. Whether inventing new technologies, implementing innovative systems, enacting better policies, legislation, or governance, or ensuring greater cooperation and information sharing, responses are many and varied.

From incremental shift to radical change, from local to regional, or from the national to the global, this international conference will focus on the challenges that demand a collective response. It will highlight the need to harness our abilities as scientists, policymakers, practitioners, engineers and educators, to find multidisciplinary solutions in pursuit of the common goal of a sustainable world.

Featured Panel: Brexit: The (dis)United Kingdom and the European (dis)Union

On June 23, 2016, the United Kingdom voted to exit the European Union in a referendum that saw 52 percent of the population come out in favour of leaving and 48 percent in favour of remaining. While both England and Wales voted to leave, Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to stay. This division and the closeness of the referendum result led to a political class and government that was overwhelmingly for continued membership of the European Union, bound to follow a path it did not support, along with an anxious and divided population. In continental Europe, the “ever closer union” enshrined in the EU’s treaties appeared under threat from of the imminent withdrawal of one of the “big three.”

This panel will examine the situation in Britain and Europe one year on. Was the UK’s vote the first sign of the Union unravelling, with some commentators suggesting that Brexit would lead to the break up of both the EU and the UK, or have forces emerged to counter those of the resurgent nationalisms and populisms? The panellists will discuss the UK’s economic and political outlook and, in reference to the conference theme, will question whether these altering forces are not disruptive innovation that could see both the UK and the EU undergo necessary change, emerging stronger for it.

Featured Panel: East Meets West – Healthy, Active and Beautiful Aging in Europe

How any society deals with aging can be a contentious issue, one on which questions of culture, convenience and even expedience are brought to bear. Economic prosperity and peace in developed countries has lead to unprecedented levels of healthcare provision for a population that, as a result, is living far longer. Coupled with falling birthrates, Western Europe and Japan are witnessing demographic changes that bring unparalleled challenges but also unexpected opportunities for aging populations, as innovations and discoveries help people lead active and healthy lives.

This panel will provide an overview of the demographic situation in different countries and cultures in Europe and beyond to compare and contrast outlooks for the aged. It will also examine the concepts of healthy, active and beautiful aging.

Join IAFOR at ECSEE2017 to:

  • Present to a global audience
  • Have your work published in the Conference Proceedings and considered for peer-reviewed, open-access journals
  • Benefit from IAFOR’s interdisciplinary focus by hearing about the latest research in Sustainability, Energy and the Environment, the Social Sciences, and more
  • Participate in a truly international, interdisciplinary and intercultural event
  • Take part in interactive audience sessions
  • Network with international colleagues