The theme for the Fifth Asian Conference on Sustainability, Energy and the Environment 2015 is “Power & Sustainability.”
Sustainability remains as a powerful ideal that acts as a driving force in relation to the pressing concerns of energy and the environment. Its proponents often protest their lack of power to effect change because of the control systems already in place in the form of tax-evading multinational corporations, banks that support them, and governments that turn a blind eye to malpractice. Is the claim to lack of power as serious as is alleged, or are there other approaches that have not been tried? Advocates of sustainable growth surely have the responsibility to search for alternative avenues and corridors of power. The abolition of slavery in the British Empire, for example, was the work of one man who resisted and confounded the argument that no economy could survive without it. This conference will take the concepts and lenses of power and sustainability as we seek multidisciplinary solutions and work together towards the creation of a sustainable world.
The organizers encourage submissions that approach this theme from a variety of perspectives. However, the submission of other topics for consideration is welcome within and across a variety of inter-disciplinary and theoretical perspectives. Submissions are organized into the following thematic streams:
- Environmental Sustainability & Human Consumption: Food and Water, Hunger and Thirst
- Environmental Sustainability & Human Consumption: Human and Life Sciences
- Environmental Sustainability & Human Consumption: Waste
- Environmental Sustainability & Environmental Management: Freshwater, Oceans and Seas
- Environmental Sustainability & Environmental Management: Land Use & Misuse
- Environmental Sustainability & Environmental Management: Atmosphere and Air
- Cultural Sustainability: Protecting, Preserving and Conserving
- Economic Sustainability: Environmental Challenges and Economic Growth
- Economic Sustainability: Sustainable Businesses and CSR
- Social Sustainability & Social Justice
- Social Sustainability, War and Peace
- Social Sustainability & Sustainable Living
- Energy: Environmental Degradation
- Energy: Renewable Energy and Environmental Solutions
- Energy: Energy Economics and Ecological Economics
This international and interdisciplinary conference will again bring together a range of academics and practitioners to discuss new directions of research and discovery in sustainability, energy and the environment. As with IAFOR’s other events, ACSEE2015 will afford the opportunity for renewing old acquaintances, making new contacts, and networking across higher education and beyond.
The Asian Conference on Sustainability, Energy and the Environment will again be held alongside the Asian Conference on the Social Sciences. Registration for either conference will allow attendees to attend sessions in the other.