Energy Insight Newsletter
Subscribe to our free monthly newsletter featuring renewable energy news, job postings, business profiles, conferences, and more. You may unsubscribe at any time.
|(cc) Josiah Townsend|
A consortium made up of Gamesa and Iberdrola Ingenieria y Construccion has received a contract to build a Honduran wind farm, known as Cerro de Hula, a project which will have 102 MW of installed capacity. Gamesa controls 76% of the venture, while Iberdrola Ingenieria y Construccion controls the remaining 24%. The wind farm’s customer is Mesoamerica Energy, a company that develops renewable energy projects in Central America and neighbouring countries via its local subsidiary, Energia Eolica de Honduras.
The wind farm project has a 20-year power purchase agreement contract with Honduras’ Empresa Nacional de Energia Electrica, and will be financed with funds from the US Export-Import Bank and the Central American Bank for Economic Integration.
The contract to build the Cerro de Hula wind farm calls for a “turnkey” project with scheduled completion in 18 months. The new wind farm will consist of 51 Gamesa G87-2 MW wind turbines. The contract includes electricity grid interconnection, land accesses to the site, civil works, transport, and electromechanical erection of the wind turbines. In addition, it includes maintenance services for a period of two years from the date the wind farm begins operating.
For Gamesa, the scope of the contract encompasses the manufacture, supply, transport, and erection of the wind turbines, including supervision and start-up of the turbines. Meanwhile, Iberdrola Ingenieria will design and build the wind turbine foundations, access roads and erection platforms. It will also be responsible for construction of the site’s Operation and Maintenance building and the design and execution of a system for exporting the wind farm’s energy to the grid.
The last point includes a medium tension system of 34.5 kV from the turbines to the collector substation, trenches for MT cables and the grounding system; a 34.5/230 kV step-up substation and 230 kV interconnection lines and operations at the 230 kV substations at either end.
By winning this bid, both companies bolster their strategic position in Latin America, where Gamesa has installed more than 200 MW of wind energy in five countries, primarily Mexico. In Mexico, the company recently signed a long-term agreement (10 years) to supply 100% of the turbines for the wind farms Cannon Power Group will develop in Baja California.
Meanwhile, Iberdrola Ingenieria has a significant presence in Mexico, Venezuela, and Brazil, with the latter home to an innovative Iberdrola Ingenieria project to repower and modernise the Angra nuclear plant. The company is the No. 1 builder of wind farms in Mexico. Further highlights of its Mexican business include boosting nominal capacity by 20% at the Laguna Verde nuclear plant and building La Venta III wind farm.
With more than 15 years’ experience, Gamesa is a world leader in the design, manufacture, installation, and maintenance of wind turbines, with more than 18,000 MW installed in 20 countries on four continents.
The company is also a global benchmark in the market for the development, construction, and sale of wind farms, with more than 3,500 MW installed and a wind farm portfolio totaling 22,000 MW at varying stages of development in Europe, America, and Asia.
With 30 manufacturing facilities in Europe, the USA, China and India, and 4,400 MW of annual manufacturing capacity, Gamesa has an international workforce of more than 6,300 people.
Iberdrola Ingenieria y Construccion is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Iberdrola and is headquartered in Erandio, Spain. It is the world’s No. 3 energy engineering company in terms of turnover and the biggest in the Spanish power industry. It has projects in over 30 countries in Europe, Africa, the Americas, and the Middle East, and its activities include engineering for the power generation and distribution sectors, nuclear power, and renewable energies.
Read Wind Energy Systems: Control Engineering Design from Amazon.